The Purpose

The reason for this blog is so family and friends can follow along on my journey through cancer and treatments. Please check back regularly for updates and new happenings.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pre Surgery

Well it's been a while since I've written, I've been on vacation, not the kind of vacation where you go somewhere but the kind of vacation where you don't worry about surgeries or cancer. The kind of vacation where you don't want to face reality and write a blog. It's been nice for a month to almost feel normal. Now back to reality. Yesterday I did all the necessary pre-op procedures for surgery on Friday. I got an EKG, got blood work done, saw my regular doctor and went and visited with the surgeon. From the surgeon we found out that I can expect to be in the hospital for about a week. I will expect to be doing good if I get out of the hospital earlier than seven days.

The surgeon expects the tumor to be in my small intestines. It may be real simple where it's right there visible like a golf ball and all he has to do is yank it out, or worst-case scenario it might be like sandpaper and scattered all through my fatty tissue. We won't know until he opens me up and looks. After talking to him, Keri and I feel pretty good about the surgery. The surgery is Friday, August 15 at 10:30 a.m. We have to be at the hospital at 8:30. There's not much else to tell until after the surgery. It might take a little while to update the blog after the surgery especially if I'm in the hospital for seven days. I'm looking forward to the hospital food, man oh man! That and the needles.

1 comments:

Kris said...

Good luck to you John we will think of you in our prayers, actually we always do. 7 days in the hospital, I was in 2 and went crazy. Take a good book or two. Or a DVD player and some good movies. I had my crocheting which is very soothing maybe you should take that up.
Love you
Jim & Kris