The Purpose

The reason for this blog is so family and friends can follow along on my journey through cancer and treatments. Please check back regularly for updates and new happenings.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

The begining

For years I thought that I had an ulcer. Maybe I use to. I have had occasional bouts of intense pain in the abdomen sending me to the emergency room or urgent care.

2-19-08 After having moderate abdomen pain I go for checkup at Dr. Johns, my regular care physician. After a blood test he refers me to Dr. Mills, a gastroenterologist.

3-13-08 Appointment with Dr. Mills. He wants to do an ultra sound to look for gall stones which he suspects could be causing the pain. He sees in my records from Dr. Johns that I had an ultra sound done in 2004 that was clear.

3-14-08 Ultra Sound on abdomen. Spots on my liver. Dr. Mills wants to do CAT Scan. No gall stones at least.

3-20-08 Have CAT SCAN done at Metro Lab. Phoenix Diagnostic. I had to pick up a kit the day before the scan. I got three quart size bottles of white goo that looked exactly like Elmer’s glue. I got the choice of “Berry or Vanilla” flavored. I chose berry.

4-10-08 Biopsy at Good Sam for lesions on my liver found with CAT Scan.

4-14-08 Cancer Day. Dr. Mills calls with bad news about biopsy. The tumors in the liver are Carcinoid. I took some satisfaction in the fact that at least this is supposed to be a “Rare” cancer.

4-23-08 Appointment with Oncology Doctor Michael Roberts. Confirmed Carcinoid tumors in liver. They moved there from somewhere else. Where is the primary source of cancer? About 50% of the time (according to my reading) the primary is in the intestines. To find the primary and see the extent of all tumors I will have to have an Octreoscan. A $7000 test where they inject you with radiation that is attracted to the tumors.

May 12, 2008
Experienced my first Carcinoid syndrome symptom of Flushing. I started to get nauseous then real hot, broke out in sweat. Quite unpleasant but did not last too long, a few minutes.

Octreoscan has three parts:
May 15 receive injection of nuclear isotope, first scan.
May 16 The long scan it is supposed to take one and half hours, it actually took nearly 4 hours.
May 22 final scan.
I suffered with terrible claustrophobia each time, I decide I need to be sedated for any kind of close scans. I know I can not do an MRI while conscious. The thought of having a MRI even unconscious gives me the willies.

May 29, 2008 Appointment Dr. Roberts we get the report of Octreoscan.
Calcified tumor in lower abdomen, probably the primary, not 100%. Two suspicious nearby lymph nodes. Again confirm those in the liver.

Treatment:
Monthly shot of Sandostatin.
Stint thru liver directly to tumor for chemo therapy. Consult with Dr. Palestrant, the radiologist that will do the treatments.

June 3, 2008 First shot of Sandostatin, one sore butt cheek.

June 6, 2008 Appointment with Dr. Palestrant.

7 comments:

Alison said...

John, I'm sorry to hear about the cancer. I think it's great that you're doing a blog to share your experience/journey. I'm sure there are and will be people who will find support they need to get through their own battles. You will be in my prayers!!! Tell Keri and the fam that I said hello. :)

Lindsay said...

We are thinking of you and praying for you. We won't be able to make it to the reunion this year--we will miss seeing you guys! My girls still remember and love their "Uncle John"!

*Lindsey* said...

This is such a great way to keep everyone updated. We think about you everyday and love you very much

meow said...

Hi John,
We appreciate your having this blog, so that we can hear all the details of your "journey". It is nice of you to do this for all of us, and we hope it may have some therapeutic value for you, too. Please know that we are praying for you, and really care about you. You are one of our favorite people. Love, Neil and Nan

Krause Crew said...

We are glad we have a way to be updated on your progress. We are praying for you and your family.

Bacon Chris said...

mmmm MRIs, I get those regularly for the MS, I hear you on the small confined space, is it bad that I am used to it? Sometimes I nap in there. If it makes you feel any better being fat its even more confined, sometimes they grease my sides up so they can be sure to get me back out. I must look like a giant "pig in a blanket". When I was on the good insurance, they paid for the open MRI scans, those are nice. Hang in there, thanks for doing this to keep us all up to date. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kris said...

We love you. You are one of the best men we know. You are in our prayers daily. Love the blog idea.
Love Jim & Kris