The Purpose

The reason for this blog is so family and friends can follow along on my journey through cancer and treatments. Please check back regularly for updates and new happenings.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Radiologist

Keri and I went to meet the radiologist. We were both delighted with him. Keri because he asked the same question that she had asked at Dr. Roberts office, “Why aren’t we doing surgery on the primary tumor in the abdomen first?” Dr. Roberts answer was that he is very concerned about the liver and wants to attack it first. I read into his meaning that the tumors in my liver will kill me a lot faster than the one in my abdomen. Dr. Palestrant weighed the different things that Dr. Roberts may be thinking out loud to us.

I liked him because of his sense of humor. After I expressed my absolute terror of claustrophobia, he said, ”We will take very good care of you, when we do your procedure I will sing lullaby’s to you and of course you will be sedated.”

The plan is for me to receive two treatments of Chemoembolization. Once for the right half of the liver then a couple of weeks later the left half. They do half at a time in case something goes wrong and the liver fails, I guess you can live on half of a liver.

The procedure as they explained it to us is: they put a catheter in the femoral artery in the groin and run the line up through the network of blood vessels right to the liver and the tumor and inject chemo drugs right into the tumor, they also block off the blood vessels feeding the tumors and the little suckers die!

The first chemoembolization will happen Friday, June 27th.

2 comments:

*Lindsey* said...

Glad to know the radiology app. went well. It's nice to know some Drs still have a sense of humor. It must mean they enjoy their jobs.

Raini said...

We wish you the best through this. Everything happens as it should and you have a lot of family that loves you too. I will keep my eye on this blog for updates.
- Raini